Thursday, December 29, 2016

The Liminal Bicycle

I ride the line
At the end of the year, I observed myself riding the line comfortably, in between the bike lane and the motor vehicle lane, balanced and easy. In this space between years, between day and night, between stretches of blacktop on smooth paint, I found myself gliding along without a care. My mind free of worries, my body empty of woes, my heart doing its job without problem, my lungs respiring easy and smoothly. In between. Spinning and balanced. Gliding along. 

From this space, I looked forward, and saw nothing to stop me from taking any turning I choose, no barriers to imagine what I might do or where I might ride. My tires and bicycle were perfection in motion, silent and smooth. I just spin in that moment, in this liminal space, and know something vital and real that must be held and felt to be known. To be in between is to have the opportunity to feel this, and know it, if only for the duration of a bike ride.

4 comments:

  1. Makes me wonder if there really is no in between but just a continuum. Perhaps we like to create divisions, categories, and spaces to help us make sense of things. Love the photo. I can feel the movement, hear the tires against the pavement whirring past.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, a continuum, which we can know and feel by recognizing the easy flowing feeling of no divisions, categories, or spaces, even when we're surrounded and directed by fences, lanes, barriers, and walls. The sense we make of things is usually limited or wrong, except perhaps when we're just open and directing ourselves to love, or helping others.

      Delete
  2. Just don't ride that white line in the unlikely event of an Arizona rainstorm. Those can get pretty slippery!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I stay off the brakes when riding the line, and just flow with the smoothness!

      Delete

Please feel free to comment here, almost anything goes, except for obvious spam or blatantly illegal or objectionable material. Spammers may be subject to public ridicule, scorn, or outright shaming, and the companies represented in spam shall earn disrepute and ire for each occurrence.