Saturday, November 19, 2016

Respite for the Sad and Strong


Need for the ride

Inside was cold acedia. Heat not on yet, indoors remarkably chilly after a cold morning, but warming up after dawn, which I saw because of broken and abbreviated sleep. Put on the coffee earlier than I wanted to on a Saturday morning, but I was up, and looked forward to it. Aches, though, pains--what the heck did I do to my Achilles tendon, anyway? No one knows, but I know it was stiff and sore. The spinal troll was also grouchy. You are unwelcome, spinal troll, go and hit your rock hammer some other place than my lower vertebrae, please.

Eventually: the mountain bike was sorted, the water pack filled, the gear arranged, the ride embarked on. With the starting spin, the muscles loosen and warm, the skin glows in the sunlight, the lungs breathe easier. This engine is strong even if the computer is glitchy. 

The start of the trail is rocky and uphill, however, and I pause to consider that coordination is required, balance needed, timing and some technique, so the computer will have to man the hell up and coordinate the engine and transmission effectively enough to avoid body damage. The computer does OK, with only minor glitches, mainly of a seasawing steering type variety, a few balance delays, a few line misjudgments, but nothing serious, nothing prosecutable.

Peaceful wash

At some point, balance was reinstated, the easy breathing and smooth spinning stretched out and unknotted the computer's kinked up cordage and helped it to run smooth again. I pulled off to the side, hopped over a little berm and felt a kind of floating ease as the bike settled back to the soft gravel floor. Whispy clouds caressing dark rocks on a warm afternoon and a steady breeze. A quiet spot on my mountain bike, respite for the sad and strong.
 

6 comments:

  1. Did a bit of biking earlier this year in the Phoenix area. The Lake Tempe trail and the trail going through the adjoining golf course were a fun bit of riding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a nice spot for linking with other rides in the valley. The greenbelt (golf course) path goes for miles north.

      Delete
  2. Older engines require a little preheating!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is very topical for me, although all people read stuff through their own unique lens I guess... my computer requires much more attention and somehow draws more power than it used to. The Respite, however, remains as real as it ever was. I know I'm a broken record, but I love the artful way in which you tell some of the best and simplest stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks RANTWICK, I hope every single person you meet on your rides greets you in that friendly Canadian mode that you show in your videos, that's got to make it nice to ride.

      Delete

Please feel free to comment here, almost anything goes, except for obvious spam or blatantly illegal or objectionable material. Spammers may be subject to public ridicule, scorn, or outright shaming, and the companies represented in spam shall earn disrepute and ire for each occurrence.