Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Showing Heat: Cicada, Bunny, Cactus, Apache, Hawk


Dried, recently-deceased cicada, funeral dirge provided by the droning of thousands of his cousins

August, and it's hot in Phoenix, but show don't tell. Five things from today's commute that seemed to communicate, or symbolize, or emphasize, the season and its heat.

The teeny tiny bunny I mentioned on Twitter, browsing in the shade, cowering from passing cycle commuters

Barrel cactus, note the late summer dried flowers and fruit around its crown

Not positive this is an Apache. But hot, sharp, chop chop chop sound as it sped overhead.

Hawk, not a sign of summer innately, but photo taken right after hawk seen splashing like a fool in irrigation water

The sound of the cicada is positively the summer song of my commute. I hear it everywhere just now, even inside my house, zzz zzz zzzz zzz zzzz zzzzz. I started off the commute wondering how I would show the heat. Being open to the world on my bicycle provided numerous answers.

I really enjoyed glimpsing the hawk splashing in the irrigation water. He may have been after smaller birds, but I don't think so. In the heat of the afternoon, I think they were all just splashing around in there together, seeking a cool down. I caught him spreading his wings and rising up from the water, startlingly large in his outstretched wings, making a quick jump to the nearby grapefruit tree. zzz zzz zzzz zzz zzzz zzzz.... summer.
 

2 comments:

Please feel free to comment here, almost anything goes, except for obvious spam or blatantly illegal or objectionable material. Spammers may be subject to public ridicule, scorn, or outright shaming, and the companies represented in spam shall earn disrepute and ire for each occurrence.