Saturday, August 8, 2015

Helmet Visors in the Rain with Eyeglasses


Under-the-visor view of a rain shower

Sun predominates almost all my commutes. Therefore, a helmet with a visor has proven very helpful. The one happens to be on a Bell Super helmet, which I really like, but this is not a review of that helmet so much as brief mention that the sun visor also seems to work surprisingly great at keeping rain off my eyeglasses.

Rain during my commute is rare. Pouring rain even rarer. So I think this may have been the first time since I've worn this helmet that it poured rain. It felt wonderful, this cool water pouring on me on a hot August afternoon. Deliriously sensual. Like, I wanted passing vehicles to drench me.

The rain started when I started. The sky was dark, so I wore my usual glasses, not the tinted cycling ones. I noticed immediately that the visor spared the glasses from both direct rain and subsequent fogging. They stayed totally clear the whole ride. This was in contrast to the last, memorable storm, during which I lacked a visor, and a mixture of water and sunscreen pouring into my eyes and across my glasses essentially blinded me. That downpour was heavier and more relentless than this one, but I still felt like the visor made all the difference.

Another view from beneath the visor, that odd combo of pouring rain and sunshine

After the rain, glasses totally clear to see this

Almost double, thanks visor!

9 comments:

  1. I didn't see the double, just the one...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd like to see a pic of the helmet and visor from the other side (so I can see the helmet and not the view)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might be able to setup an action shot with water pouring on my head to show the functionality. But until I get that set up, here's an image search that shows the visor on the Bell Super 2, although ignore the shots where the visor is retracted up, which I guess would not help much with rain on glasses.

      Delete
    2. Those look like ski goggles in the images. Note to self - try my clear ski goggles if it ever rains again in the Washington rain forest. We are officially in "Extreme Drought" - or what passes for same in a place that averages 100+ inches per year (we only get 78 in OS).

      Delete
    3. Steve, I think some do wear those type of goggles with this helmet, it's made for riding in muddy and wet conditions. It's also got an optional chin guard.

      Delete
  3. Riding in the rain... so much more fun than riding through a haboob!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree completely. Also, if I'm honest, more fun than riding in 114°F like today. Generally. Depending on the mood. I do love riding in the heat, though.

      Delete
  4. I have worn glasses my entire life and have always been annoyed when they got wet in the rain. It is an annoyance that I have not been able to cure. As a child, I wanted to invent glasses with windshield wipers, but as an adult, I can see why that may be impractical. Using the visor to shield rain, while unintended, was a great solution.

    Doris Gibbs @ Moody Eyes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if hydrophobic coatings would help? I have one newer pair of glasses with oleophobic coating that seems to help a bit, too.

      Delete

Please feel free to comment here, almost anything goes, except for obvious spam or blatantly illegal or objectionable material. Spammers may be subject to public ridicule, scorn, or outright shaming, and the companies represented in spam shall earn disrepute and ire for each occurrence.