Saturday, May 9, 2015

Peace Love Happiness Hope Bicycles


Nice chalk, tunnel wall!

Since it was a dry (5% humidity) perfect Spring day for a longer ride, I got a bit carried away and just kept riding around today. I had a scheme, an experiment, if you will, to go for a long spin on a dry mild day without carrying water, to measure my water weight loss. There are several familiar water stops along the route of my Tri-city (Scottsdale, Phoenix, Tempe) TCT tour, so in case I started to notice any dehydration issues, I planned to stop and tank up.

But on this glorious, mid-70s day, no issues whatever. I did 24 miles in an hour and a half, and lost just shy of 4 lbs in water weight. I expected a bit more, but that was based on previous measurements I've done in the summer, on much hotter rides, so temperature is as expected a significant factor in water weight loss. 

Along the way, I diverted to my thinking spot. I was once again drawn to it. That spot has been the location where several momentous decisions were made, but I didn't think I had one to make today. I went anyway, to see what would happen.

Once more to the thinking spot

When I arrived, it was a scene of peace and tranquility. I offered up a small prayer of peace, love, hope, and safety for all cyclists, said amen, and just sat a bit, resting and soaking it all up. Instead of making a decision for change, I thought, what about using the spot for appreciating the now, for offering thanks for the right-here. So I did that, too, and it felt just right. Then the model drag boats cranked up, and that was just right, too.

A model drag boat ripping through the water making a tremendous racket

I flipped the camera selector to SPORTS mode to force a faster shutter, but it wasn't exactly brilliant sunshine, so it was hovering around 1/500th--enough to slow the boats down quite a bit, but not enough to totally freeze them stock still. I considered fiddling with the settings more, but this photo seemed good enough for blog.

Suddenly out of nowhere

Suddenly, out of nowhere, a group of Hawaiian shirt-wearing (some leis too) cyclists appeared. It was such a nice day for riding, they seemed perfectly natural to me. In fact, there should have been thousands of them out there, rather than a dozen, to match the riding perfection that was the day. Perhaps they were a party on wheels. I wished them all Peace Love Happiness Hope Bicycles, and rode on home.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment here, almost anything goes, except for obvious spam or blatantly illegal or objectionable material. Spammers may be subject to public ridicule, scorn, or outright shaming, and the companies represented in spam shall earn disrepute and ire for each occurrence.