Thursday, May 21, 2015

Duck Path Metaphors


Room for all, courtesy and compassion. Duty of care.

This morning's Quartz (link in image below) included a story about a path marked specifically for ducks along a London canal. I had a relevant experience with the restaurant-connected mallard shown above. I think they give him handouts occasionally, so he kind of hangs around waiting for the good stuff rather than scooping up half-decayed vegetable matter from the muddy canal. I can't blame him.

Duck path story from Quartz. Click image to go to story. #sharethespace

I can hear the literalists' cry already: oh yeah, that'll work great, what about a lane for the neotropic cormorants? To which I reply, one of those would be good, since they would line up in an orderly fashion, and I could paint blue marble eyes on each cormorant silhouette. 

I've been spotted. It seems he may not yield. Sharing is imminent.

The duck path is a metaphor, of course, one thing meant to stand meaningfully and provocatively for something else, something more, something greater: #sharethespace, in the vernacular. As I rode by him, he did not yield the center of the path, and seemed to sense that I would ease my way around him safely. He chortled at me in his little duck voice, so I chortled back at him best I could. I passed by near enough to note the texture of his glistening blue-green head cover, marking its sheen and small irregularities. Perhaps he noted my irregularities, too. Unique beings, passing one another in a specific moment, alive and experiencing in peace. I do not think I was wrong to feel a momentary deep affection for him.

I noticed that right after I passed him, he turned his attention back toward the restaurant, waiting patiently.
  

4 comments:

  1. Next to our OS dock live a duck and her 6 adorable ducklings. Luckily, our dog is too rambunctious to notice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There must be something in the water, I just saw another new group of five or six paddling away in the canal today.

      Delete
  2. A day for ducks then. I have a mate for yours, and she joined us on our Ride of Silence last night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They can be pretty bold, waddling right up to cyclists.

      Delete

Please feel free to comment here, almost anything goes, except for obvious spam or blatantly illegal or objectionable material. Spammers may be subject to public ridicule, scorn, or outright shaming, and the companies represented in spam shall earn disrepute and ire for each occurrence.