Saturday, January 10, 2015

Bike Racks for Utility Trips Psychology


It's an open, everybody is welcome kind of rack

I'm surprised at the significance to me of a nice bike rack when I think about cycling to a particular destination for a utility trip to pick up groceries, or something similar. There are usually signposts or fences that work for locking up when there's no rack. But, for some reason, the thought of this decent rack just invites me to shop over here. Vehicle parking and traffic in the lot were kind of hectic, but I know this rack is up front, near the store, best spot in the lot, I guess. 

It's a little hard to see in the photo, but the back part of the rack kind of has a half of a parking spot, which generally keeps it open for bikes on the other side, too. I often park over there, because it seems less likely that someone will bang a cart into my bike there, and if there's already a vehicle blocking in that spot where the SUV is in the photo, all the better for a feeling of compartimental security.


Restaurant on the corner with inviting bike racks front and center (hoop racks are great)

The psychology of inviting and convenient facilities fascinates me. Something about the activation energy of cycling, the get-up-go-ride booster that gets you on the bike and out the door to go and pick something up. Easy peasy. Two or three miles on a pleasant January afternoon. What's the big deal? Yet, the usable racks, perhaps the site of a few others also utility cycling, makes the simple and easy feel simpler and easier. 

Also, some day, I will sport a wicker basket for grocery-getting. It will have a baguette clearly visible as I roll easily along.

Night rack for a quick stop

  

2 comments:

  1. I certainly vote for places that have bike racks over the uncaring others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The usable, functional racks certainly are attractive end points. Now, regarding the connections between the end points...

      Delete

Please feel free to comment here, almost anything goes, except for obvious spam or blatantly illegal or objectionable material. Spammers may be subject to public ridicule, scorn, or outright shaming, and the companies represented in spam shall earn disrepute and ire for each occurrence.