Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Sink, Float, and Light Up, Light Up


Art anchors!

Last time blocks were pre-positioned like this next to the canal, water striders resulted. I'm pretty sure I know what this is for, but I'm not saying more except piece by piece as more of it appears...

In order to manage art that floats, one requires parts that also sink.

I think I've sorted out the dusk bicycle commuting lighting situation for now. As I indicated, I was convinced that light aim was a key part of the equation. After making some very slight adjustments, the difference was remarkable. Before and after below. Both shots from 100 feet or so. Using the excellent suggestion by Don Graves to double-stick tape sandpaper on the bar to deter the mount from easily turning, the aim remains pretty consistent even though I remove the light when I park the bike. Sink, float, and light up.

Before

After. Same light, just aimed a bit higher. Night and day. Sink or float. See and Be Seen.
 

4 comments:

  1. What is the advantage of the "after?" It does not appear to throw a more useful beam of light upon the road in front of the cyclist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Taking accurate photos for comparison of headlights requires more care around exposure and conditions than I put into these. But the basic advantage comes from throwing a little more light a little higher so that side entering and left turning drivers see me in the half-light of dusk. I may have time this weekend to try one of the motorcycle headlight aiming procedures to see where I end up. But, this position does throw plenty of light on the ground in front of me.

      Delete
    2. Seems to me that the "after" risks blinding oncoming traffic, though photos are not real reliable in this regard.

      Delete
    3. Yes it's really not reliable from the photo. I would say not more than any car, and less than most aftermarket vehicle lights and SUV lights. I can't say it's pleasant to look directly at them.

      Delete

Please feel free to comment here, almost anything goes, except for obvious spam or blatantly illegal or objectionable material. Spammers may be subject to public ridicule, scorn, or outright shaming, and the companies represented in spam shall earn disrepute and ire for each occurrence.