Saturday, January 4, 2014

Ride Place, Ride Time


This was almost the one...

On a gorgeous late-afternoon TCT (Tri-City tour, Phoenix, Scottsdale, Tempe), I pulled out my camera to take the above shot, as I congratulated myself for just happening to be in the right place at the right time to catch the light just so. The sun was setting, the water was still, the air was warm, and it just felt like it was going to be a good shot. 

However, 1.2 seconds AFTER I pressed the shutter to take the photo above, an even more gorgeous egret sailed across the frame from right to left, right about in the middle of the water, above. The camera sometimes does some type of post shot processing which causes a message to be on the screen which says PROCESSING... so all I could do was watch as the beautiful white bird demonstrated to me that I was actually two seconds early from being in the right place at the right time.


Sure, he looked good sitting in the water, but...

Sure, he looked good enough sitting in the water, but it could have been an incredible photo if I had just been there with my shutter finger two seconds later. So I rode on.

Down in Tempe at the lake, as the sun was setting, I saw them pulling the sail boats out of the water. I thought, ooo, maybe some cool black and white boat pulling out of the water action.


Nice, but not quite...
As it happened, I arrived at the vantage point overlooking the boat ramp a few minutes after the boats had pulled all the way in. I was imaging basically the same scene as above, except with the boats still in the water, casting reflections of themselves, with the long shadows of late afternoon pulling into the ramp just ahead of them. This one turned out OK, especially the sky, but on looking at the frames I captured, I couldn't say that I felt like I managed to be in the right place at the right time. Almost.


As the sun set...
As the sun set, though, I was rethinking my whole "right place, right time" train of thought. Hadn't I had an awesome ride, feeling good, fortunate to live where the weather is warm and I was able to ride in a t-shirt and shorts in January, still able to feel fast and strong as the years pile up? What was I worrying about being in the right place at the right time, I had just spent an hour and a half in my ride place, at ride time, loving it. That's the goal, and it's easy enough to achieve: just get on and go, and I'm in it: ride place, ride time.  I think rather than fretting about the screen grab of reality I almost got, instead I will focus on loving the reality I'm with.

 

2 comments:

Please feel free to comment here, almost anything goes, except for obvious spam or blatantly illegal or objectionable material. Spammers may be subject to public ridicule, scorn, or outright shaming, and the companies represented in spam shall earn disrepute and ire for each occurrence.