Sunday, February 17, 2013

Do Or Do Not: Breaking with Tradition


A moment for a choice, to do or do not

For years*, I've attended the annual VNSA used book sale so steadfastly that it has become a tradition. The three previous years resulted in three posts here: 2012, 2011, 2010. But this time, I really didn't feel like going. No S24O to camp overnight in line to be one of the first inside, not happening.

Partly, it's because I'm behind in reading the books I already have. I usually don't have such a backlog, but work has been consuming more of me, leaving less for avid reading, or for that matter, blogging**. So I should probably make progress reading the books I have before I go and buy more. 

And behind or not, I am about one VNSA used book sale away from getting my own episode of Hoarders: Bookman: Lost in the Stacks. OK, maybe not quite that serious, not yet, but I do have more books stacked up in non-shelf places than I strictly should. It would be better for all involved if I were to remove a carload, or rather a Burley Travoy trailer load, of books from the house this year, rather than adding another.

So instead...stack of family bikes at the Falls

So instead, the family and I went for a fun bike ride along the canal on an afternoon where it his 80°F, with a stop at Arizona Falls. Suggestion of younger daughter. We also stopped for ice cream, did some shopping, and generally just rode around. We do this sometimes, but not often enough. As the kids grow older, this is the sort of tradition I want to start: regular family bike rides, possibly to create a stack of memories of many such rides hoarded up.

Part of the tradition will be jumping at the suggestion if someone in the family makes it, to drop whatever we're doing, to make a little time for a ride. Go for an easy spin together, get a little sunshine, stop and check out the wildflowers which have just started to bloom, get a bit of exercise. Younger daughter picked one of the first African daisies of the year, and did a little "he loves me, he loves me not" with it. A small thing, yet a perfect thing.

Coulda gone to the book sale as in years past. Instead, though, I went for a bike ride with my family on a sunny afternoon, then went home and continued to take stock of the books I already have, to choose the next ones to go into the donate box. You know, less books would mean more room for bicycles and bicycle parts. Speaking of hoarders.

Sticker on the daughter's bike
*it would be accurate to say "decades"
**how much has been consumed, and how much remains, is tough to gauge sometimes
 
 

12 comments:

  1. Sounds like a much better choice. If you've had an anti-hoarder epiphany, I wish my husband would catch it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Baby steps, maccandace, small changes. But I'm pretty sure it's not contagious.

      Delete
  2. I hear ya on the books. I already have too many books I still haven't read yet, but still get more. And on top of that, I take out waaaay too many library books, some of which I never read either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. e-books will / are some kind of influence on this post, which I didn't mention, and I wonder at their impact on libraries, too. I've seen how you can check them out, but in limited numbers. Hmmm. Last night my wife clicked the BUY NOW button on a book which had 9 holds on it or something at the library. They are still great places of knowledge and learning, don't get me wrong, but changes are in progress. I still miss card catalogs.

      Delete
  3. This post reminds me that I have been promising myself for ages to sort out all the books filling up shelves that I need to read.....

    -Trevor

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to think of shelf time as the survival of the fittest for the books. It's a jungle in there.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Or both! One about the other, books about bikes, bikes for carrying books...synergy!

      Delete
  5. I have a basket of books to read. When it's full I do not add any more to the pile. I do not only read those, of course, but deviate occasionally when the mood strikes. It's a promise to myself to keep the "to read" pile in check.

    We don't do enough family riding either, so I've learned to drop everything when one of my boys initiates the ride.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do something similar, except instead of a basket, there's my house.

      Delete
  6. good to break with tradition, and now you have this very cool, personal post to share with us. what's better than ice cream anyways? -xxom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. meli I'm trying to think of what's better than good ice cream, and I have to admit, not many things. Really good dark chocolate? Really good coffee? Well, you can also make ice cream with both of those...

      Delete

Please feel free to comment here, almost anything goes, except for obvious spam or blatantly illegal or objectionable material. Spammers may be subject to public ridicule, scorn, or outright shaming, and the companies represented in spam shall earn disrepute and ire for each occurrence.