Monday, October 8, 2012

Early Fall-Winter Wandering Cycling Exhilaration Plans


Desert city with Palo Verde, the tree with the photosynthesizing bark, hanging over sweet mountain trails

Dispatches from the spiky shade zone...

Out testing the feet this weekend on a hike, stretching the hill muscles, and giving the legs something to do besides turning circles, looking for places to ride, wander, and hike as the weather turns from the hot season to the warm season. About fifteen minutes after taking this shot, I was down on that trail in the very bottom right of the photo, and heard one of my favorite sounds: a cyclist coming up behind me with his knobby tires grumbling on singletrack gravel, and a bike shock compressing over rollers. Contemplated taking the next six months of work off to continue this dusty investigation, and follow after the cyclist, who wore no shirt, and was possessed of an aura of happy exhilaration.

Mmmm, happy exhilaration. Get some. A fall and winter of the ride-to-the-ride rule in full force. One bike to rule them all, road and trail. S24O of my dreams. Oh perfect tire for desert city trail riding campeuring, I seek you, in all your variable air pressure, hybrid tread pattern, and magnificent puncture resistance, wherefore art thou? 


Those distant mountains make the ride-to-the-ride rule an interesting challenge


A place to imagine sleeping with a coyote serenade

6 comments:

  1. I love that second shot....

    -Trevor

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thx Trevor. The vivid colors of that exposure are how I remember it, but with the stark contrasts and tricky lighting, getting the photos to turn out that way is a bit hit or miss. For me. Maybe it's time to use the Manual mode on the camera instead of the automagic one.

      Delete
  2. Your landscape is subtly different from the one where I ride up here in New York City...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My first arrival by automobile into the Sonoran Desert was at dawn, after driving across the country. It looked surreal, stark, and silent, and that imprint stays with me whenever I'm out there.

      Delete
  3. South Mountain Park? I thought it was a great place to run in January but here it looks like a great place to cycle in October. Nothing like the desert, which I am lucky enough to visit at least once a year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello New England Bicyclist! This is actually the Phoenix Mountains Preserve, near 32nd Street and Lincoln. The mountain biking in that area is fun and accessible, check out my Trail 100 video for example.

      Delete

Please feel free to comment here, almost anything goes, except for obvious spam or blatantly illegal or objectionable material. Spammers may be subject to public ridicule, scorn, or outright shaming, and the companies represented in spam shall earn disrepute and ire for each occurrence.