Saturday, April 21, 2012

Flowers Make the Best Bike Lanes


Street engineering at its finest

Of all the ways of indicating where bikes should go, I think flowers are the best. Brilliant yellow petals blazing in the low-angled setting sun delineate the zone of riding and wherever the flowers fall and the wind blows, I ride. Up mountains, down valleys, along side streets and down main drags, across meadows and all along the canals, yellow fire flutters through the air and aligns with various hard linear structures, cement slices and steel horizons, softening them and making them feel more life-friendly, and I ride there, me and my buzzy freewheel leaving a swirling cloud of chromatic turbulence behind. Paths, gutters, streets, sidewalks, a twisting run through the park, a crazy random bounce down a jagged desert singletrack. Ride where the flowers are. The flowers are everywhere. So now you know where to ride. BIKES MAY USE FULL WORLD.


BIKES MAY USE FULL WORLD, this sign reads

5 comments:

  1. I don't know if flowers are "the best," but they are certainly high on the list of desirable bike infrastructure - unless, of course, the petals concealed some fall hazard. They rise even higher if they smell nice.

    No robots, spam, or other blatantly illegal material in this comment. Objectionable is in the mind of the reader. Personally, I think too many lawyers have linked up with Blogger. Too many people trying to sell junk under false pretenses as well. As I'm sure JRA has seen in comments from various ans sundry sources.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear kind sir I enjoy your most interesting blog hope thys world you finding could see the better on your folding beach cruiser industrial tools?

      Delete
  2. What's that gorgeous yellow-blossomed tree, dear Sir? At first I thought it was forsythia, but I don't believe they grow that big...or do they? What a lovely, lovely photo. I'll follow flowers just about anywhere.

    Traveling through Pennsylvania currently and the dogwoods are in bloom. Vermont is definitely a few weeks behind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. anniebikes, for a few weeks in April, vast stretches of Arizona turn this bright yellow color as the palo verde trees all decide it's time to flower. I have a nicer picture of one, but to fully appreciate it, you have to imagine riding for miles and seeing them in nearly endless numbers: palo verdes in bloom

      Delete
  3. If it were OZ I would assume it was a kind of acacia (wattle), but, I haven't a clue about US trees. What a blissful way to have the bike lane marked :-)

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment here, almost anything goes, except for obvious spam or blatantly illegal or objectionable material. Spammers may be subject to public ridicule, scorn, or outright shaming, and the companies represented in spam shall earn disrepute and ire for each occurrence.