Saturday, September 3, 2011

Craftsman in the Street: Labor Day



Work product

Riding home, thinking of labor and work before Labor Day weekend, wondering while wandering what to say or display related or relevant, when behold, a found screwdriver, red white and blue made in USA a hand tool, working kind, found in the street by a bicycle commuter after what seemed like a hard week at work. 

Someone tried to explain to me that they were taking a "staycation" but I heard "steak-cation" and "steak-cation" sounded like a great idea. As does perhaps tooling around some back roads and trails on a bicycle. Now I have to take this new-found screwdriver along else I'll be out somewhere or rather nowhere, the middle of, and be in dire need of it to fasten or unfasten or pry or otherwise fix, and kick myself for not bringing it along. Into the bag it goes.

It's a good weekend to ride hard. Because the world is large and we may not ride this way again. But take some tools, just in case.

 

10 comments:

  1. Last week I found a Craftsman 10mm/llmm spanner. That makes 3 craftsman tools I've found in the last couple of years. If my memory serves me right I have found a 3/8 rachet, several screwdrivers (one craftsman that looks like yours), a handful of sockets and several small wrenches. Unfortunately I have lost my favorite 6 inch pliers and my aluminum water bottle. I guess everything evens out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One can never have too many Craftsman screwdrivers. When Sears is a memory like Montgomery Ward, Craftsman will remain proud.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love finding tools on the road!

    A steak sounds good right about now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. dude! the free tool dream is true!! every so often i find excellent reflectors off cars and trucks that were originally turn signal covers and then bungee cords are also readily available, especially the heavy duty lads off of big flatbed trucks. it's like the best mall in the world lying right there on the road. nice header. prickly. hey do you ever cross paths with chloe black? steven

    ReplyDelete
  5. all i ever find are beer cans and roadkill.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love all the found items! And I was told by my husband that the next time I find needlenose pliers, I am to pick them up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, I found a hammer one time on my commute. I put it on my desk and all the daylong everyone asked me what the hammer was for.

    ReplyDelete
  8. All, thank you for your comments, after a fun and fairly exhausting Labor Day weekend, I didn't find anything material out there, but did find many great experiences on long rides, which is the true point for me. But tools play a key role when bicycling is the mode, and so I see the free road tools as icing on the happy cake.

    ReplyDelete
  9. steven I haven't knowingly crossed paths with chloe black, although I have probably waved at her in the sense that I wave at all cyclists and the majority wave back.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment here, almost anything goes, except for obvious spam or blatantly illegal or objectionable material. Spammers may be subject to public ridicule, scorn, or outright shaming, and the companies represented in spam shall earn disrepute and ire for each occurrence.