Wednesday, August 3, 2011

I Rode My Bicycle To Work As Slowly As Possible Today



To actually stop and smell these flowers

Today I rode my bicycle to work as slowly as possible. OK, not slo-mo, slow race, barely moving slow, but still really, really slow. It wasn't because I was avoiding anything or wanted to get to work late. It was a feeling: my feet slowed down, I was whistling "Let It Be," and I needed to go sloooow. Like, a kid with training wheels racing his little sister on her tricycle and their neighbor on the Big Wheel would have dropped me effortlessly, slow. This slow:



Always the goal-setter, I put some ambitious tasks before myself for my Slow Ride Project:

  • to feel dappled tree shade caress my skin,
  • to sense the wind-brush evaporatively cooling even on a hot morning,
  • to stop and smell the flowers pictured above, 
  • to whistle "Let It Be" accurately from beginning to end,
  • to eavesdrop on the quail chortling in the undergrowth,
  • to pause and observe the baby ducks preening in the shallows along the canal. 


Marco!

The canal water running through the structure where the heron sits held my attention for a minute or two: the swirling changing waves and eddies, splash and mist, the vivid and hyper-real sunlight glinting off droplets arcing and re-entering the flow.

Out in front of me, half a block away, an approaching cyclist turned left off the main road as an SUV was flupping a U inside-out maybe not seeing the cyclist at all but how could he not and cyclist avoiding, yelling, moving out of the way, riding on, was it him, was I him, was he me, driver, driver, let it be, let it be. Words of wisdom I was whistling on my slow slow ride.

It took me longer to ride to work today than the day I got a flat on my rear tire and had trouble getting everything put back together and my hands were a gory chain-grease mess and the tire wouldn't hold air and I had to keep pumping it up. Longer than that. A personal record to be proud of. Today I rode my bike to work as slowly as possible, and loved it.

 

5 comments:

  1. That's about how fast I ride all the time. I'm a slacker.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a very rewarding commute ... I love those! Maybe one of these days I'll do this. I'll have to get up early enough to give myself some extra time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I shall have to consider such a thing, but normally, I would have trouble even stopping to take a photo of the bike. I ride fast to get to where I can lean back and use all the time I saved to savor the coffee. And even some more. I guess we just all go slow differently.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love speed but most of the rides i ride i want to feel deep inside. not the muscle feel which is pretty natch but the deep feel of seeing stuff like a squirrel running between my wheels, a crow diving down to grab a snake from the road in front of me, the impossible purple of a thistle in flower against the deep blue of the river. and then, if i've really got it all together i'll stop and take photographs as i go. music? well there's music rolls on an eight track in my head constantly . . . right now donovan "first there is a mountain" has some high rotation going. steven

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oldfool fast is relative, and compared to a ped you are Speedy Gonzales out there.

    Apertome, it is also possible to ride homeward at a leisurely pace, thus avoiding the extreme measure of waking up early.

    Steve, I am all for going slow differently. Particularly when coffee is involved. You are wise.

    steven, thanks for commenting! Great words, and an eight track too, cool. I casually let my eight track playing boom box go several years ago, and now I miss it. Sometimes fast rides, sometimes music.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment here, almost anything goes, except for obvious spam or blatantly illegal or objectionable material. Spammers may be subject to public ridicule, scorn, or outright shaming, and the companies represented in spam shall earn disrepute and ire for each occurrence.