Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Another Side of Arizona (with a little NM thrown in for chills)



That's cold. -27C is another way to say it.

We drove up north in the middle of a cold snap and snow storm, and I grabbed some pictures along the way. It was -17F in Gallup, NM, and there was lots of snow, so I was out playing with the kids in the yard, mostly sliding on the snow which was very powdery in the cold temperatures. I'm not used to that low a temperature. It's freaky cold. Since my mind couldn't really grasp it, I couldn't really perceive it, you know? 

Another problem with cars: I had concerns mine would even start in the morning when it was so cold. Fears of being stranded in a cold place. I've experienced -43F at the Ice Lantern Festival in Harbin, China, but that was a long time ago, and I have spent the intervening years in Phoenix, where such temperatures just sound like pure fiction. 


A great rest stop sign, you must admit

Cholla Power Plant, a massive coal-burning enterprise, belching steam into the cold cold air.

After a snowstorm, just south of Flagstaff. That's Mt. Humphreys and the San Francisco Peaks.

I appreciate being able to drive a couple of hours to experience a very different climate. This time of year, though, I am glad to be back in the Valley of the Sun, hiking and biking in a t-shirt in January. We all had fun in the snow, but -17F! Although when you're running, sliding, and smashing each other with chunks of snow, you don't notice it much. Get up. Go ride.

 

2 comments:

  1. Anything below 0 is not good.
    Hell, anything below 40 is not good.
    Make that 60.
    Meteor Crater!
    I request pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At least we are looking at 70 in PHX this Friday.

    Meteor crater: an expedition must be mounted to gather photographic data to supplement the existing archive.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment here, almost anything goes, except for obvious spam or blatantly illegal or objectionable material. Spammers may be subject to public ridicule, scorn, or outright shaming, and the companies represented in spam shall earn disrepute and ire for each occurrence.