Sunday, June 6, 2010

On a Day Like Today


North End Looking Towards Happy


On a day like today, with the temperature well over 100F, and much still to do before the weekend is over, admittedly with much weariness of pavement and cars churning up my soul, I feel my spirits lift when I hear the sound my tires make when they roll off the asphalt and onto the sandy gravel path. I told someone that was one of my favorite sounds, and they looked puzzled. I told them to get on their bike and come along with me, and listen. First you hear the sound of the gravel, sure, with a few pings as the tread picks up stones that are just the right size and bounces them off the chromoly, but that's just the start. Because there's a soft resonance that gets started as the tires roll along, somewhere between the gravel and a hum, and the small bumps I've rolled over hundreds of times just add to the music.

The ducks on the canal right through that opening up ahead have made more ducklings this Spring than I ever remember seeing (below). Reading Oldfool and seeing the horrors of the oil-soaked pelicans in the Gulf, I can't draw any directly comforting conclusions from seeing a canal full of fluffy ducklings paddling against the current, no, but I can feel a sense of connectedness and perhaps a sort of balance, death and birth, some slight weight behind the idea that even something as monstrous and overwhelming as the disaster down there will one day pass, too. Which is really not much comfort for current pain, I know. But on the other hand, there's baby ducklings in the canal. On a day like today, that's some comfort, anyway. Get up. Go ride.




13

1 comment:

  1. I just love your blog. Love it. And, yes, I know EXACTLY what you mean about hearing the crunch of gravel beneath your wheels. As for the ducklings, those are always a joy to behold. Problem is, I want to steal one to take home with me. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment here, almost anything goes, except for obvious spam or blatantly illegal or objectionable material. Spammers may be subject to public ridicule, scorn, or outright shaming, and the companies represented in spam shall earn disrepute and ire for each occurrence.