Sunday, March 14, 2010

No Sinners Here

Freeway Sign in Hohokam Territory

Today, I followed the suggestion of the new "by bicycle" feature on the world's most popular search engine to see if it would come up with a better route for my fantasy commute on my fantasy Sinner Mango than I did before. Since I have a gift card from a chain bookstore burning a hole in my bike bag, I thought I could swing by there, too, so I used the search engine to get its address. Long story short, the chain book store has closed down its downtown Tempe location, and taking the route prescribed by the "by bicycle" feature would not be feasible on the Mango, I guess. I had suspicions, but gave it the benefit of the doubt and headed down the green line.
 
  Not Mango Friendly

The green line took me to the south end of 48th Street where it dead-ends at the Grand Canal, and then portrays a canal-following route to the Mill Avenue bridge. The canal side is not paved. After the rains we've had, it's rutted with truck tire trenches and still has standing water under the overpasses. It was rather fun on Yasuko with a wind at my back, but I don't think it was velomobile-friendly. Verdict: the Crosscut MUP is still my go-to route until I find another. And "by bicycle" is not equivalent to "by velomobile".
 
  Scenic View: Sludge Dump and Equipment Near the Green Line

To salvage what was otherwise a relatively fruitless ride, I snapped the pic below on the way back. Ah, springtime in Phoenix. I warned you earlier in the week that shorts would be mandatory soon. Told ya. Get up. Go ride.


2 comments:

  1. Did you try and figure out what it would cost to bring one of those Mangoes stateside?
    Sort of reminds me of something from a Gary Newman video.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did find a North American dealer in Toronto. Velomobiles like the Sinner and its cousins are $7500 and up, it looks like. So I'll probably be commuting on Yasuko for a long time.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment here, almost anything goes, except for obvious spam or blatantly illegal or objectionable material. Spammers may be subject to public ridicule, scorn, or outright shaming, and the companies represented in spam shall earn disrepute and ire for each occurrence.