Thursday, January 7, 2010

Helmeted Bicyclist Symbol


I don't know when they started, but the diamond bicycle lane markings are being blackened out and replaced with helmeted bicyclist symbols. I use that phrase "helmeted bicyclist symbol" because that's what p.809 of the "MUTCD" or "Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices," December, 2009 edition, calls it. Before I wrote this blog post, that phrase wasn't found anywhere else except in that document by Google. Which makes me wonder how uniform the manual is. I like him (he looks like a male to me, like bathroom guy on a bike. You may have a different view).His helmet looks a little like a wok to me, though. I rode into work before the sun came up, and came home long after it had set. These are the type of posts you get on days like that. Get up. Go ride.

4 comments:

  1. I've been thinking about doing some uh, adjustments on the biker lane dude.
    Maybe adding some facial features, or a visor on his hat.
    The lanes around here have just been repaved so they are ripe for "modification."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I mean with chalk, don't you know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even outlined in bright red or orange (chalk) would brighten him up a bit I think. Maybe with an aero time trials helmet mod.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment here, almost anything goes, except for obvious spam or blatantly illegal or objectionable material. Spammers may be subject to public ridicule, scorn, or outright shaming, and the companies represented in spam shall earn disrepute and ire for each occurrence.